Thursday, May 2, 2013

Review: Lover Avenged by J.R. Ward

TITLE: Lover Avenged
AUTHOR: J. R. Ward
SERIES: Black Dagger Brotherhood #7
RATING: 5 out of 5

BLURB: Caldwell, New York, has long been the battleground for the vampires and their enemies, the Lessening Society. It's also where Rehvenge has staked out his turf as a drug lord and owner of a notorious night club that caters to the rich and heavily armed. His shadowy reputation is exactly why he's approached to kill Wrath, the Blind King and leader of the Brotherhood. Rehvenge has always kept his distance from the Brotherhood-even though his sister is married to a member, for he harbors a deadly secret that could make him a huge liability in their war against the lessers. As plots within and outside of the Brotherhood threaten to reveal the truth about Rehvenge, he turns to the only source of light in his darkening world, Ehlena, a vampire untouched by the corruption that has its hold on him-and the only thing standing between him and eternal destruction. (from goodreads.com)


There were many reasons why I was so excited to finally climb my way up to Rhev's book. One, his mohawk. Two, his amethyst eyes. Three, his sympath side. Four, he's a drug lord. Five, he's a night club owner. Six, you just know there's more behind all that hard surface. I've been on a BDB marathon these past few weeks but for some reason it took me a whole three to read this book – mostly because something kept getting the way but other things too. Like how there was always some other side-storyline interrupting Rhev and Ehlena. I didn't mind some of side-characters kicking in, however others pissed me off.

Once again I noticed I couldn't care less about the world between the vampire society and the Lessening society. If there would be no lessers I wouldn't mind at all – they seem to be there just to throw in some action and to mess up main characters. But reading their chapters and paragraphs usually bores me to death. I also hoped to learn more about sympaths, especially about the sympath princess Rhev's been sleeping with – but I didn't, unfortunately. It would be good to see a nice well-mannered sympath in the future though, Rhev and Xhex are after all just half-breeds. 

Those cons aside I loved the books as all those before. Rhev made my heart break with his longings after a normal life, after having a family of his own. He never even dared to hope for it since he was always trying to control his sympath urges, drugging himself up and denying himself any sorts of real pleasure. But Ehlena made him see things differently. As for Ehlena... at first I was really impressed by how she held her own, despite his flirty comments. I liked how she slowly opened herself up to him and how in the end she turned out to be quite a fierce heroine.

Blay and Qhuinn will kill me one of these days, I'm telling you. I almost always tear up as these two show up, especially when Blay is looking at Qhuinn with all that desire and he's just... ruining himself. Not to mention how much I adored John Matthew and Xhex. Their book is next and I'm fully prepared to start it right away. These were the side-stories that didn't bother me and were the ones that made me really anxious to read the next in series. These books are beyond addictive!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...